This recipe goes with the Mayonnaise and Crab Sandwich recipes in Episode 1.
A savory bread, perfect for making crab sandwiches!
Write a review
8 hr 20 min
8 hr 20 min
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- ¾ teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons herbs de province (optional) or 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the bread flour, whole wheat flour and salt together. Add water and mix on medium speed until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, about 7 minutes.
- Oil a medium sized bowl, and pour the dough into it. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 3-4 hours. The dough will be very sticky.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled pan that is roughly 8x10" or 9x13" and allow it to rise for 3-4 more hours. Will look puffy with bubbles, don’t handle too much and deflate. 30 minutes before the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- When ready to bake, generously drizzle olive oil over top. Sprinkle herbs de province and coarse salt over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove immediately to wire rack to cool.
- This bread takes about 8 hours to rise and 20 minutes to bake. You could make it a day ahead of time and allow it to rise in the fridge overnight. You'll want to bring the dough to room temperature before baking it.
The Slice of Life Show http://www.thesliceoflifeshow.com/