It’s not too late to make somethings special for the sweeties in your life! These chocolate hearts have a little bit of spice from cinnamon and cayenne, and a little bit of sweet from the sprinkles and icing.
This recipe comes together really easily and is perfect for baking up with the kids! The decorating is the funnest part. Making these during a Valentine’s themed party and having lots of sprinkles and icing in pre-mixed colors is a super fun way to celebrate this holiday.
For the icing, mix up a batch of royal icing as in in the recipe, or follow this method with just powdered sugar and milk, using a thicker mixture to “outline” the heart, and thinner mixture to “paint” the inside. You can also keep things simple and sweet by just melting white chocolate and drizzling it on the cookie.
If any cookies break, just have fun with it! Play off the concept of a broken heart. 🙂
- 3 c flour
- 1 1/2 c. cocoa powder (the darker, the better)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 sticks or 12oz unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix until well combined. The dough will be stiff. Divide the dough in half and wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, about one hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured counter or board to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out heart shapes in various sizes. You can gently knead the scraps and re-roll once. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and bake for about 10 minutes for large hearts, 7 minutes for medium hearts, and 4 minutes for very small hearts. Place on a wire rack and let cool completely while preparing the frosting or white chocolate if using.
- If you are using sprinkles, add those to the raw cut out hearts on the baking sheet just before baking.
- 1 egg white (or 1 T. meringue powder and 2 T water)
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine until smooth, add more powdered sugar to desired consistency, pipe or spread on the cookies as you like. Allow to dry for 1 hour before wrapping.